Paul Cézanne (1839-1906) 'Father of Modernism'
Suitable for beginners and experienced painters. Oil and/or Acrylic Painters Welcome
Semi-Private Speciality Workshop
Fee: $260* for 8 hours tuition over two seperate days. *Fee does not include canvas. I recommend 50.8 x 76.2cm (20 x 30") which can be purchased from Duthy Street on the day.
Participants will work from a Cézanne inspired still-life set up especially for this course. Or you might decide to choose your favourite Cezanne Painting and make you very own study of it... a great way to learn from the Master Painter!
"We must not paint what we think we see, but what we see .. sometimes it may go against the grain, but this is what our craft demands."or
- Cézanne ultimately came to regard colour, line, and "form" as constituting one and the same thing, or inseparable aspects for describing how the human eye actually experiences nature.
- Cézanne applied his pigments to the canvas in a series of discrete, methodical brushstrokes as though he were "constructing" a picture rather than "painting" it. Thus, his work remains true to an underlying architectural ideal: every portion of the canvas should contribute to its overall structural integrity.
- In Cézanne's mature pictures, even a simple apple might display a distinctly sculptural dimension. It is as if each item of still life, landscape, or portrait had been examined not from one but several or more angles, its material properties then recombined by the artist as no mere copy, but as what Cézanne called "a harmony parallel to nature." It was this aspect of Cézanne's analytical, time-based practice that led the future Cubists to regard him as their true mentor.
What to bring on the day;
- If you are a beginner the girls at Duthy Street Art Supplies can set you up with a Professional beginners painting kit.
- Experienced painters you will need your painting kit.
- Canvas, great quality canvases can be purchased from Duthy Street the day.
- Brushes small, large, hard, soft, rounded and square.
- Palette Knives.
- Rags, paper towel, baby wipes.
- Containers jars or small tins.
- Plastic bag (for your used paper towels and rags).
- Duthy Street have tea and coffee and cookies for you.
How to Book and Pay
To book a deposit of $50 is required with the full amount to be paid prior to the workshop.
Contact Liana Vargas: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0408136466
Payment can be made by electronic funds transfer (EFT)
Commonwealth Bank, ACCOUNT NAME: Liana Vargas, BSB: 065 034, ACCOUNT # 10183713
IMPORTANT: When paying electronically – please advise when transfer complete
*Please note fee's and deposits are non refundable and not transferrable